Is Allegheny Health Network a Nonprofit Organization?

Pittsburgh-based Allegheny Health Network (AHN) is a non-profit academic medical system with 14 hospitals in western Pennsylvania and one in western New York’s Finger Lakes region.

In 2013, Highmark Inc., a Pennsylvania-based Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance company, bought the assets of WPAHS and added three more hospitals to its provider division.

Allegheny Health Network was established to serve as a holding corporation for the WPAHS hospitals and their affiliates. Today, Highmark Health acts as AHN’s primary parent.

An academic hospital (Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, the network’s flagship), five tertiary care hospitals, four community hospitals, and four ‘neighborhood’ hospitals make up the current AHN structure.

Over 250 clinical facilities, including five “Health + Wellness Pavilions,” cancer centers, surgical centers, outpatient clinics, and primary care locations, serve patients from western Pennsylvania and neighboring Ohio, West Virginia, New York, and Maryland.

LifeFlight, the AHN Research Institute, the Allegheny Clinic, a home health, and infusion firm, a group-purchasing organization, and the STAR Center, which offers simulation training for medical and nursing students and professionals, are all part of the system.

A clinical site for Drexel University and Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and two nursing schools are all part of the network’s offerings.

AHN will have 21,000 employees by 2020, including 2,600 paid employees and connected doctors, and 2,000 unpaid volunteers.

More than 120,000 admissions, 280,000 emergency department visits, and 8,100 births at AHN’s hospitals and clinics this year.

AHN careers

Explore the AHN Jobs

AHN DOCTORS

Find a doctor according to the requirements

Allegheny Health Network

Read Related Articles: Tampa Family Health Center Careers ( 5 Positions Opened)

AHN login

  • Book appointments
  • Communicate with a care team
  •  Get test results
  • Pay bills

MyChart Login 

Allegheny Health Network hospitals

Allegheny Health Network

Read Related Articles: The Beginner’s Guide to Genesis Health Club (Dos and Don’ts)

AHN Wexford Hospital

With 160 beds, AHN Wexford is the largest hospital north of Pittsburgh, with a $313 million and 345,000-square-foot construction.

In addition to a 24-bed emergency department with specialized pediatric and behavioral health rooms and operating rooms with minimally invasive robotic surgery capabilities, AHN Wexford’s new full-service hospital will feature a cardiac catheterization lab and hybrid OR for advanced surgical procedures, a short-stay observation unit, an adult intensive care unit, and comprehensive care for women and infants.

The women’s unit features the sole labor and delivery facility in northern Allegheny County, high-risk obstetrical services, and a neonatal critical care unit.

Allegheny General Hospital

Allegheny General Hospital (AGH), now the academic headquarters of Allegheny Health Network, started as a 50-bed infirmary in Allegheny City, just north of Pittsburgh.

West Penn Hospital was already constructed in Pittsburgh by the 1870s, but Allegheny City required its own hospital to handle its growing population and treat the victims of the frequent fires, floods, and diseases that rushed across the Ohio River from its northern bank.

An advisory council of doctors and influential individuals from Pittsburgh’s North Side was formed in 1881 to consider the building, financing, and construction of a new North Side hospital.

The committee purchased two neighboring sites on Stockton Avenue near the modern-day Nova Place three years later.

Allegheny General Hospital opened its doors on February 15, 1886, as a precursor to the current facility. Children’s services were added to the hospital in 1887, and an ambulance was given to the facility in 1889.

For the following 64 years, AGH would run its own ambulance service. Additional surgical space was made available to AGH in June 1892 with the opening of an annex.

At the turn of the century, the hospital’s board of directors started raising money to construct a new AGH along Stockton Avenue, barely a block away. For $620,000 and opening in 1904, the seven-story building housed 400 patients.

Labs for bacteriology and autopsy were distinct from those for urine and blood tests. The hospital’s board president, Dr. Maitland Alexander, encouraged the relatives of steel tycoon William H. Singer to establish a new, three-story research facility behind the hospital, which opened in 1916 and was eventually known as the Singer Research Institute (now called the AHN Research Institute).

During World War I, AGH was one of the first medical institutions in the nation to provide its services to the U.S. Department of War, and in 1918, the AGH Red Cross Unit traveled from Pittsburgh to France to staff a French military hospital, which was staffed by AGH workers.

A new hospital was sought because the Stocktown Avenue AGH was being squeezed by railroad lines, and the city of Allegheny and Pittsburgh both continued to develop.

It turned out there were one 2,000 feet farther north. York and Sawyer, a New York design company, was commissioned to create the blueprints for one of the nation’s first “skyscraper” hospitals, and work began on it in 1929.

It was completed by the end of 1931 after the cornerstone had been placed in 1930. As a result of $2 million in Public Works Administration loans, the third iteration of Allegheny General Hospital was officially dedicated on June 24, 1936, despite the Great Depression halting development.

It featured 1,300 rooms, including 162 private ones, spread over its 22 floors and cost $8 million. Built in the Lombard architectural style and visible from miles away, the cream-brick tower was an immediate iconic building.

It is currently a Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation historical monument. Among the many features of the new hospital were a variety of kitchens, a pediatric wing, maternity rooms, x-ray and cardiology departments, and a modern phone system with pneumatic tubes and call boxes.

Hospital expansion and construction proceeded after World War II with the addition of a new East Wing and a $104 million Snyder Pavilion in 1981.

It also continues to break new ground in thoracic surgery and shock trauma care, as well as in cancer treatment and orthopedic surgery, and, most famously, open-heart surgery.

George Magovern, an internationally recognized pioneer in surgery, established the groundwork for the modern AGH, which by 1998 was doing more open-heart surgeries than any other hospital in the state and treating patients from all over the country and the globe.

As of today, Allegheny General Hospital is 552-bed quaternary care and educational facility, with 24,000 inpatient admissions, 23,000 surgeries, and over 56,000 emergency department visits annually.

Five years ago, AGH invested in new orthopedic centers, cardiovascular intensive care units (CICUs), heart MRI centers (CRCs), hybrid operating rooms (HORs), CRCs (ambulatory surgery centers), and some of the world’s most technologically sophisticated surgical robots (STRO).

A new academic cancer center will open at the AGH site in 2020.

They formed a non-profit holding organization to run their hospital in the early 1980s called the Allegheny Health, Education, and Research Foundation (AHERF). Eventually, that foundation went bankrupt, becoming one of America’s most prominent non-profits (see AHERF).

AGH Suburban, known initially as Suburban General Hospital, is still owned and operated by AGH. For more than a Century, Suburban General has been located at its present site on South Jackson Avenue in Bellevue.

In 1994, West Penn Allegheny Health System, the organization that became AHN, purchased the hospital. A private long-term care hospital was established in the facility in 2010 after the hospital’s inpatient units, surgical units, and emergency departments were shut down in 2010.

An urgent care and outpatient clinic at AGH Suburban continue to function, while the nursing home at LifeCare Hospitals of Pittsburgh was demolished earlier this year.

An innovation center and a health technology startup incubator, the AGH Suburban site now serves the community of suburban Atlanta today.

Allegheny Valley Hospital

AVH has been serving Natrona Heights, Pa., and the surrounding area for more than a century.

AVH has 188 licensed beds and offers a wide range of health care services to its patients, including emergency treatment, surgery, rehabilitation, and more.

Like many others in Western Pennsylvania, Allegheny Valley Hospital was created to service the region’s burgeoning industrial cities.

When Tarentum, a Pittsburgh suburb approximately 22 miles northeast of the city center, became Home to many plate glass plants in the late 1800s, industrial activity had spread to the area.

Many patients had to travel by rail to a Pittsburgh hospital since there was no hospital. After a group of local physicians and notable people gained a charter in 1906, the Allegheny Valley General Hospital was born.

Under his direction, the group, led by Dr. George Getze, leased a site on Tarentum’s Second Avenue, and the hospital opened on January 28, 1909.

This three-story mansion had just 20 rooms accessible for patient visits and surgery; in 1910, the hospital relocated to a more significant residence just downriver from the old building.

The hospital’s officials decided to pay $12,000 for a plot of property near the old Tarentum Fairgrounds, which soon became outdated.

On May 24, 1919, a new 98-bed Natrona Heights hospital was opened. Allegheny Valley Hospital’s original brick and terra cotta three-story buildings are still intact today.

After a century of growth, the third AVH opened in 1928, with a nurses’ wing, north and south wings, a $2 million south wing, a laboratory in 1974, and a four-level, $26.5 million expansion in 1983 that included the hospital’s emergency department, radiology, and other departments housed in that addition.

AVH receives around 6,500 hospitalization and approximately 40k visits to the E.R. each year and conducts 5,500 procedures.

AVH has recently established additional inpatient units, cardiac MRI and rehabilitation services, robotic surgical capabilities, and inpatient rehabilitation services for patients with trauma or strokes.

Customers mostly come from Northeastern Allegheny, Westmoreland, Armstrong, and Butler Counties.

The Alle-Kiski Medical Center was the official name of AVH for a decade in the early 2000s. The name was changed back to Allegheny Valley Hospital in 2011.

In 2000, AVH joined forces with the adjacent Citizens School of Nursing, which had its beginnings in 1913 and is still actively involved in the education of future nurses.

On January 1, 2019, the Tarentum campus of the Pittsburgh Mills mall became the new Home of the nursing school.

For the most part, AVH operated on its own. Acquired by AHERF in 1997. In the wake of AHERF’s collapse, AVH joined West Penn Allegheny Health System as an affiliate.

AVH joined the new Allegheny Health Network in 2013 when WPAHS was purchased by Highmark Inc.

Canonsburg Hospital

There is a small hospital outside Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, known as Canonsburg Hospital. The Women’s Shakespeare Group of Canonsburg sought contributions of ‘linens, supplies, a hen and brood of chicks and a substantial supply of fruit’ for what turned out to be an ambitious though not exceptional undertaking for a literary club in 1904.

However, the Women’s Shakespeare Club’s endeavor concluded reasonably and proved to be much ado about something rather special: medical treatment.

But as history recounts, Canonsburg General Hospital was the inspiration for the Women’s Shakespeare Club of Canonsburg’s work.

With the club’s support, a home on Barr Street in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, was purchased and used as a hospital for ten years.

Canonsburg General Hospital Association was also established to supervise hospital operations. The first patient was a lady who was “going with her husband in a horse-and-carriage from the town of Midland in Chartiers to Canonsburg when the wild horse threw them flying” on October 17, 1904.

The following year, a nursing school was established at the hospital, which operated until 1960. To accommodate the growing need for more beds, the hospital board voted in 1913 to develop a second facility on Barr Street.

Perry Como was born in Canonsburg in 1912, and the “new” Barr Street Hospital decided to name its dining room after the famed singer.

Canonsburg Hospital had outgrown its red-brick Barr Street home in the late 1970s, and in 1979 the facility appealed to the Pennsylvania Department of Health to establish a new hospital.

A “certificate of necessity” was required for a new hospital building in Pennsylvania. State officials had initially rebuffed the application for a certificate of need because they argued that existing hospitals in the area could handle the projected patient volume.

Still, residents of the Canonsburg area lobbied Dick Thornburgh with “more than 5,000 letters [and] 2,000 mail-grams demanding the department approve the project.”

Health officials granted approval in 1981, and a new hospital was constructed outside Canonsburg’s city limits in North Strabane Township. The new $15.8 million hospitals opened on May 14, 1983, on 31 acres; the original Barr Street hospital is now a personal care and retirement facility.

Canonsburg Hospital was a part of the West Penn Allegheny Health System until 2000 when it was dissolved. It became part of the Allegheny Health Network in the year 2013.

Since its inauguration in 1983, the present 104-bed inpatient hospital has undergone significant expansions: As part of its association with the American Hospital Network (AHN) since 2013, the hospital has extended its ambulatory care center, physical therapists’ department, emergency department, and sleep lab. More specifically, the hospital serves a population of people in southern Allegheny and northern Washtenaw counties.

More than 4,000 patients are admitted to the hospital each year, while about 21,000 emergency visits are recorded, and nearly 3,000 procedures are performed.

Forbes Hospital (AHN Forbes)

In 1978, Monroeville’s first hospital opened its doors as East Suburban Health Center to serve the rapidly growing U.S. Route 22 area, becoming a part of the Forbes Health System.

When Columbia Hospital in Wilkinsburg and Pittsburgh Hospital in East Liberty merged, they developed a rehabilitation hospital system that still exists today.

The construction of a new medical center in eastern Allegheny County, now known as Monroeville, started in the 1960s due to competition between two opposing factions.

GHG, an affiliate of West Penn, sought to develop a hospital on Mosside Boulevard. To construct a property near the Parkway East, Forbes Health System sought permission.

They came together in 1973, after years of conflict. It wasn’t until 1975 that work on the project got underway.

There was no need to change the name of the Forbes Health System since all three hospitals were located on an ancient military road that ran from Carlisle to Pittsburgh in 1776.

Keeping the name was a no-brainer for the amalgamated company.

In 1978, the East Suburban Health Center opened with 257 beds, servicing a large portion of eastern Allegheny County and sections of Westmoreland and Armstrong Counties.

Formed in 1983, the health care system was renamed the Forbes Regional Health Center. In 1996, Forbes Health Care joined with the then-parent business of the Allegheny General Hospital in a merger known as the Allegheny Education and Research Foundation (AHERF).

Both Canonsburg Hospital and Allegheny Valley Hospital have joined AHERF and Allegheny University Medical Center, AHERF’s hospital management arm in the Pittsburgh region.

It was in 2000 when Forbes Regional joined the newly formed West Penn Allegheny Health System, and in 2013 it became part of the health network of Allegheny Health System.

Many sophisticated specializations are now available for patients at Forbes, including obstetrics, cardiovascular surgery, cancer treatment and neurosurgery, diabetic care, and orthopedic surgery.

Forbes Hospital has more than 700 doctors on staff, and each year it births more than 1,000 infants and serves more than 40,000 patients in its emergency department.

As Forbes continues to invest in its capabilities, it has added robotic surgical technology, opened an inpatient rehabilitation unit, expanded and upgraded its intensive care facilities, enhanced labor, and delivery services, and established the region’s only Level II Trauma Center in recent years.

AHN’s Forbes Hospital was the first to implement Epic, a new, fully integrated health records system, in 2015, and in 2017 it started ground on an extension of its perioperative facility. A new cancer center will open in 2019 at Forbes.

Grove City Medical Center (AHN Grove City)

When the Grove City Hospital and Bashline Memorial Hospital merged in 1978, the Grove City Medical Center, now AHN Grove City, was established.

A century after its establishment, none of these institutions couldn’t accommodate patients by the mid-1970s.

Grove City was manned by allopathic doctors (M.D.s), whereas Bashline was served by osteopaths (DOs). There was strong loyalty to one or the other among those who lived in Grove City; lifelong resident and hospital board chairman Alvin Schell described the differences of opinion as nearly a political split.

“You were either a Republican or a Democrat,” he said to an A.P. reporter. It doesn’t matter if you see an osteopath or a physician. M.D.s and D.O.s both practice medicine, but D.O.s see their practice as taking a more all-encompassing approach to the patient and treatment. About 90% of doctors in the United States are now M.D.s.

Residents and doctors alike set their differences aside in favor of a single hospital due to the proposed merger of the two facilities.

When United Community Hospital was completed in November 1981, the new 128-bed medical facility was inaugurated by the amalgamated group.

Grove City Medical Center was renamed United in 2006. There are six outpatient clinics and labs located across the service area of the 89-bed acute care hospital in Mercer County, New Jersey.

Other therapeutic treatments it offers include cancer care, heart care, and general surgery. 17,000 patients are treated each year at the E.R., certified as a Level IV Trauma Center since 2014.

For over 40 years, Grove City Hospital has remained an autonomous institution despite national trends toward more use of physician assistants (D.O.s).

In 2018, the hospital celebrated its 40th birthday. Grove City Medical Center was renamed AHN Grove City in 2020 to reflect its new affiliation with AHN.

Jefferson Hospital (AHN Jefferson)

Nine miles south of Pittsburgh’s city center, Jefferson Hospital started in 1977 at its present Jefferson Hills location. It can trace its history back to the early twentieth century.

St. Joseph’s Hospital on Pittsburgh’s South Side, which opened in 1904, and Homestead Hospital, which opened in 1908, were merged to establish Jefferson, known initially as Jefferson Regional Medical Center.

Both hospitals were initially constructed near steel mills to serve the needs of those employed there. After relocating to more significant buildings, these institutions united in 1973 to become the South Hills Health System. For Pittsburgh’s rapidly expanding southern suburbs, the new Coal Valley Road hospital opened in 1977.

A new professional medical facility, an outpatient surgical center, and the most extensive home care nursing program in the region were built by the mid-1980s when Jefferson Regional Medical Center changed its name to Jefferson Regional Medical Center.

In 2013, Jefferson Regional became a part of Allegheny Health Network formally. There are 341 beds in Jefferson’s current incarnation as a hospital serving Pittsburgh’s South Hills.

Every year, its doctors carry out 17,000 surgical procedures and treat more than 50,000 patients who come to them in emergency situations.

A leading open-heart surgery and cardiovascular disease program, advanced neurology and neurosurgical services, and a comprehensive, state-of-the-art cancer center have been added to Jefferson’s services during the last decade.

There were no new O.B. programs or units created in Pennsylvania hospitals in the previous three decades until Jefferson’s 2014 addition of an additional labor and delivery facility.

The new O.B. unit also includes a Level II neonatal nursery for special requirements, two dedicated cesarean-section rooms, 24/7 obstetric anesthesia and newborn care, various patient services, amenities, and the most advanced baby security equipment. More than 1,300 infants are born here every year.

Along with the recent additions of robotic surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, and mental health services, Jefferson Hospital launched a new $21 million emergency department in 2019.

Saint Vincent Hospital

As early as the 1870s, the Sisters of St. Joseph started fundraising in Erie, Pennsylvania, for what would become the city’s first medical facility.

For $7,000, the Saint Vincent Facility opened on September 5, 1875, with one physician and seven Sisters who handled “everything from nursing to washing” in a three-story, 12-bed hospital.

A tragic event in front of St. Joseph orphanage in 1874 sparked the Sisters’ work with the ill, according to the hospital’s history.

Mother Agnes Spencer got permission from Bishop Mullen to establish the hospital” after caring for a wounded man.

By 1900, the hospital had outgrown its original three-story house and had built a new “Old Main” annex, a nursing school (1901), still another addition (E Building in 1911), a nurse’s residence (1925), and a new diagnostic building with a 65-bed maternity wing (1939).

Saint Vincent’s historic Sassafras Street campus was the site for all additional structures. After World War II, the hospital announced plans in the 1950s for a new, air-conditioned four-story inpatient facility with diagnostic, X-ray, physiotherapy, lab, clinical facilities, and refurbishment of business quarters.

Helipads were installed in 1978, making it possible to fly in severely sick or wounded patients. St. Vincent joined with Hamot Medical Center in Pennsylvania in the 1980s to construct a “Tri-State Regional Trauma Center” and a “Tri-State Regional Cancer Center,” both have since been disbanded.

The Saint Vincent Outpatient Surgery Center was built in the late 1980s and early 1990s. A new multi-story South Building was constructed to contain maternity, intensive-care units, engineering facilities, a new entrance and lobby, cardio-technical services, and the laboratory, among other things.

NICU at St. Vincent’s was refurbished in 2008 and reopened to families in September of that year with a new 10,000 square-foot facility including 19 private pods. A total of 2,308 infants were born at SVH in 2012.

Highmark Inc.’s “strategic alliance” with Saint Vincent was approved by the company’s board of directors in 2012.

Next year, Highmark formally established Allegheny Health Network, which included Saint Vincent as a node in northwest Pennsylvania’s northern tier.

New emergency rooms, operating rooms, a women’s and infants center, and a health + wellness pavilion were among the $115 million in capital investments announced by Highmark/AHN in 2017 for Saint Vincent/Erie area.

St. Vincent began construction on a new pavilion and a cancer center in 2018. 2019 saw the opening of those infrastructures

Westfield Memorial Hospital

Saint Vincent Hospital, 30 miles to the west, is affiliated with Westfield Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1942. An AHN hospital is not located in Pennsylvania.

Chautauqua County, which includes Amish villages, is served by the four-bed Westfield Hospital. With a seven-bed emergency department that opened in 2018, Westfield Memorial Hospital has added “four additional treatment rooms and one big trauma room, along with creating a new ambulance vestibule,” with the facility’s press release.

The New York Commission on Health Care Facilities in the 21st century reaccredited Westfield as an acute-care hospital in 2016, completing a multi-year assessment process that evaluated the services, capacities, and capabilities of all New York’s hospitals. In 2011, Westfield received a five-year “limited life” operating permit due to that examination procedure.

At the time, Westfield was a 32-bed institution, and the state advocated converting Westfield into a freestanding “diagnostic center” without emergency services.

Community members rallied behind the hospital and persuaded New York state that this may not be the best course of action,” according to The Observer of Dunkirk, NY.

However, Westfield was compelled to “identify methods to make changes and offer its services more effectively” in response to the public’s pressure.

Both Westfield and Saint Vincent joined AHN in 2013 as part of the company’s expansion. More than 7,500 people visited Westfield Memorial’s emergency department in 2016.

Westfield is a significant employer in Chautauqua County’s northwestern region, with over a hundred full- and part-time workers.

Western Pennsylvania Hospital

As one of the greatest American cities west of the Allegheny Mountains, Pittsburgh was a developing iron town when the Western Pennsylvania Hospital was incorporated in 1848.

Despite its prosperity, the city was filthy and hazardous. Smallpox, scarlet fever, diphtheria, and other scourges ravaged Pittsburgh’s immigrant workforce, many of whom had arrived from Europe in the early 1900s.

Immigrants who were ill, wounded, or poor in Pittsburgh necessitated the construction of hospitals to treat them.

First, there were religiously linked hospitals, but city officials quickly decided that Pittsburgh needed a public hospital that could offer health treatment for everyone, regardless of their religious beliefs.

On a hillside above Pittsburgh’s Strip District and near what is now Polish Hill, Henry D. Sellers suggested a new hospital in 1847.

(today, that plot is Home to a ballfield and West Penn Park, named in honor of the hospital). The hospital was formed on March 18, 1848, and the four-story, 120-patient facility ultimately opened in spring 1853, five years after it was first conceived.

There were 172 admissions in the first year. However, only 24 of those patients could pay for their stay.

Recruiting nurses and doctors to work at West Penn was done on a volunteer basis in three-month rotations because of the high number of destitute patients (most of those who could afford medical treatment were served by house-call doctors). Mercury, opium, tobacco, and calomel were used to treat patients.

Many patients who received care at West Penn in their early days had mental health issues, and it was immediately apparent that they required a separate institution for their treatment.

Located on a high cliff with a view of the Ohio River, some eight miles downstream from West Penn, Dixmont Hospital (formally known as the “Department of the Insane in the Western Pennsylvania Hospital of Pittsburgh”) was established in 1862 by West Pennsylvania.

Until 1907, the first specialist mental health center in Western Pennsylvania transitioned from West Penn’s supervision to Dixmont’s, which became autonomous.

The United States was at war with itself eight years after founding West Penn Hospital, which was the first hospital in Pennsylvania.

A critical triage facility for Union troops, West Penn, was established in Pittsburgh despite the absence of combat.

For its size and non-religious status, the United States government took over West Penn Hospital in 1862 and turned it into a military hospital for three years, making extensive changes to the facility.

(In an emergency, patients may still be treated at West Penn Hospital). At West Penn, more than 3,000 Confederate troops had been cared for by the time of the war’s conclusion.

Soldiers Home was established in the east wing of the hospital’s east wingho could not return to total health.

Founded in 1883 by West Penn surgeons and physicians, the Western Pennsylvania Medical College was established in September 1886 with a class of 57 students.

First of its kind in this section of the country, the college was included in what is now known as the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in 1892 before becoming a full member of the university in 1908. By 1890, the construction of a new nursing school and dormitory had begun, marking yet another first for the area.

Pittsburgh was proliferating around the start of the twentieth century, and West Penn had outgrown its crowded Strip District home.

Due to its smoky, raucous, and railroad yard-battered nature, the hillside was dubbed the “Golgotha of the Iron City.” The hospital’s board, which included members like Heinz, Frick, Carnegie, Mellon, and Horne, decided to establish a new hospital in Pittsburgh’s Bloomfield area, approximately a mile to the east.

The new hospital would have electricity, more contemporary rooms, and a better location. The ground was broken for the new West Penn Hospital in 1909, and it opened on the first day of the new year in 1912.

The X-shaped, six-story hospital could house up to 500 patients and be equipped with cutting-edge operating rooms, labs, and X-ray equipment.

The new hospital and its employees would be tested several times in the years to come, including the 1918 flu pandemic, the Great Depression, and World War II.

After the war, in 1950, West Penn established a new obstetrical wing, an intensive care unit emerged in 1958, and by the 1960s, another significant development was underway at West Penn Hospital.

Under West Penn’s president Aiken Fisher, the hospital’s Millvale Avenue entrance and its Liberty Avenue outpatient treatment facility were both renovated as part of the hospital’s capital campaign (to be named Mellon Pavilion).

Burn Care Unit opened in 1970, followed by Mellon Pavilion in 1971 and the East Tower (1981), which focused on diagnostic and critical care. With a copper dome visible from miles away, a nine-story patient care tower was built in 1995.

Western Pennsylvania had several organizational reorganizations during this period. The collapse of AHERF and the historic 1998 bond default by West Penn Hospital led to a merger that saved AGH and its subsidiaries.

AGH, Forbes, Allegheny Valley, and Canonsburg “were transferred to the West Penn system in 1999 in return for a $25 million payment to the creditors, who agreed to release [AGH] from obligation for all claims.” The West Penn Allegheny Health System (WPAHS) was the name given to this new system.

The emergency department of West Penn Allegheny Health System was shut down as a cost-cutting move in 2010 because the parent corporation was in dire financial straits.

It was shut down on January 1, 2011, and remained thus until February of the following year, when WPAHS and Highmark Inc. struck an agreement in principle on purchasing the hospital system.

After announcing that arrangement in June 2011, WPAHS was planning to shut down its West Penn Hospital in the fall of 2011 had “another investor not surfaced,” according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

This year, Allegheny Health Network (AHN) added West Penn Hospital to its network of hospitals.

Since its inception in 1891, West Penn Hospital has grown into one of the largest academic medical centers in the state, with 333 beds, a Level III neonatal critical care unit, an adult and pediatric certified burn trauma center, and an extended-hours cancer clinic.

Additionally, West Penn was the first hospital in the area to get Magnet Recognition designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, which signifies a hospital’s nursing staff quality.

This program at West Penn is one of the most advanced in the nation and one of the busiest in Pennsylvania.

Neighborhood hospitals

A small-scale hospital in Westmoreland County, Pa., AHN Hempfield Neighborhood Hospital opened in February 2020.

According to a press release, three additional small-scale hospitals were added to the network in March, and the fourth and final community hospital will open in Harmar township in Pennsylvania in October 2020.

A 24-hour emergency department, 10-12 inpatient beds, imaging capabilities, and a range of outpatient services are included in the Emerus-designed and -operated hospitals.

There is also a freshly constructed cancer center adjacent to the Hempfield Hospital.

Health + Wellness Pavilions

Each of Allegheny Health Network’s 5 health and wellness pavilions provides patients access to a wide range of retail and preventative, diagnostic, and therapeutic health care under one roof.

These huge pavilions were built to give patients and doctors a well-organized, distinctive, multi-disciplinary approach to illness treatment, prevention, and wellbeing.

The first of these pavilions opened in Wexford, Ireland, in the spring of 2014. (Allegheny County). When it was first established, AHN had three Health + Wellness Pavilion locations in Erie County: Peters, in Washington County, and two more in Allegheny.

Allegheny Health Network children’s Hospital

Allegheny Health Network

Read Related Articles: Embry Women’s Health: The Essential Guide

Expert pediatricians, family doctors, and other healthcare experts ensure that children get the best possible care.

With an emphasis on compassionate pediatrics in the areas where you live and work, we treat children from birth to age 21.

When it comes to pediatric care in western Pennsylvania, Pediatric Alliance, one of the region’s most prominent independent pediatric physician groups, has joined Allegheny Health Network (AHN).

Allegheny Health Network Pediatrics: Why should you select us?

If your kid is ill or just needs a check-up, your family must be at ease with the doctor. Our physicians work hard to make check-ups enjoyable and stress-free for you and your kid.

You may also anticipate the following when you work with us:

  • Care tailored to your kid’s unique needs: We know how stressful it may be when your child is unwell. Every member of our team, from the nurses to the front desk, goes above and beyond to meet the needs of our young patients and their families while still maintaining a peaceful, open atmosphere. Our team of doctors, nurses, health coaches, and medical assistants will rapidly identify and treat diseases while providing you with the knowledge you need to maintain your child’s health at home.
  • A quick trip to the doctor is essential when your kid is unwell. Thanks to our straightforward online booking system, scheduling an appointment with us is a cinch. You and your loved ones may count on us to provide you with urgent care services, longer hours, and same-day scheduling for both sick and well visits.

Our children’s health services

When your kid is not feeling well, you need to be able to get them to a facility where they can get thorough, high-quality treatment.

Because of this, we provide a wide selection of services to help you care for your kid when they need it most. Here’s what we’ve got to offer:

Children’s primary care

  • Child health checks
  • Immunizations
  • Visits to the doctor’s office on the same day as a sick child
  • Allergy, asthma, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) evaluation and therapy

Our Find Care feature may help you locate an AHN pediatrician.

Specialists in the field of pediatrics

Specialized pediatric services may be provided by:

  • Psychiatry and mental health therapy
  • Immune system and allergy therapy
  • Nose and Throat Infections (ENT) care
  • Orthopedic

Allegheny Health Network address

Allegheny Health Network

Read Related Articles: Tampa Family Health Center Careers ( 5 Positions Opened)

Address list 

Get More

Rate this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.